The photo thread

It's a 750d, didn't fully get dunked but a quick in and out (stupidly tried to save my lass from falling in whilst trying to get into a small boat, also lost my phone at the same time, it was an expensive mistake [emoji38])

The screen works, just once you click shutter release an error is displayed. If you turn the viewfinder on you can see the images as normal, if not a bit blurry. Tried changing the F-Stop as per a youtube video but it doesnt pickup that a lens is attached.

(stolen image)

spacer.png

Hmm, doesn't look great then.  Probably worth banging off an email to Canon with details to see if they can do anything.  A 5D or a 7D might have survived a fall into a river but I don't know that their other cameras are quite so robust..

Good luck :)

I may try get ahold of another lens, if that fails i'll probably just buy a new camera.

Nah, wish I didn't even bother tbh.
To get back on track, here's a few from the offending location (think I was just using point and click to minimise any messing up of photos, didn't really want to practice there). Thankfully the memory card was unaffected.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Joey
2 hours ago, OpenC said:

Most manufacturers have their own workshops, you can usually find their tech support emails on their websites.  I've used Fuji and Ricoh in the past and they've been outstanding, can't speak for anyone else.  I think I recognise err 01 from Canon - never had to use them but you'd hope as pretty much the biggest player for the last few decades they'd be half decent.  @O Neill has probably got an idea.

What sort of camera is it?  If it's been underwater and the screen is fucked there's a reasonable chance that you could probably replace it cheaper than repairing it (possibly even replace it with something better).  Worst comes to the worst, as I say you can get some amazing gear for not huge amounts of money these days.

I've seen that once over the years with one of my 1DX bodies. In that case it led to a mirror box replacement. That can generally be a wear/tear thing as mine had done over a million actuations at that point. However, as the camera points out it could be related to wear on the pins on the lens end as well. If there is any sort of corrosion underneath the pins then they may need replacing.

I tend to use Canon Pro Services for repair but because I've got so much gear I qualify under platinum membership which means they turn things round in two days for me. I almost always use the Canon Service Centre at Borehamwood where possible. They'll probably be able to advise better but I'd guess they'd want to look at the error log in the camera to be sure when it comes to diagnosing the problem properly.

As for Canon camera durability. The higher end models are all weather sealed but for what it's worth I wouldn't fancy throwing my 1DX MKII in a river to find out how accurate that is. The higher end DSLR models are built to take a proper beating and keep on working while the lower end ones you really do have to be pretty careful with. You can usually tell from how heavy the body is.

I was torn between getting another 6D and getting the 5Dmk III with all the kit I've just bought.  Ultimately it was the lower weight first and foremost, and secondly the slightly better dynamic range on the 6D's sensor (if you believe dxomark, anyway - I'm never sure that I do) that put me back on a 6D, but I've used a 5D III and it was so much heavier than the 6D I find it hard to believe that the 6 is sealed to the same extent, although I seem to remember reading that Canon claim it is.  The bairn shoots with a 7D mk II which is apparently even better sealed (and puts out some amazing images for a crop camera).

On dxomark: they're usually not too far off the money but I don't entirely trust them because they always come up with different scores for cameras which I know share the same lens and sensor, which suggests something amiss in their testing process. 

Edited by OpenC

Dirt cheap ones; I use ten stop ones by PigIron, about £15 for a big 77mm :)

I often find myself wishing I had a four or five stop instead but I just bump the camera's ISO to simulate the missing stops and speed things up.

I used to carry a 16 stop one by Formatt Hitech for seven and eight minute exposures but these days I just use an intervalometer and stack a few 30 second exposures instead, which usually works just as well and is considerably more controllable.

Edited by OpenC
9 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Dirt cheap ones; I use ten stop ones by PigIron, about £15 for a big 77mm :)

I often find myself wishing I had a four or five stop instead but I just bump the camera's ISO to simulate the missing stops and speed things up.

I used to carry a 16 stop one by Formatt Hitech for seven and eight minute exposures but these days I just use an intervalometer and stack a few 30 second exposures instead, which usually works just as well and is considerably more controllable.

Decent mate, I have a Fotga myself, not really had the chance to use it a great deal, but might have to give it a whirl when I can actually go somewhere!

Aye. Looking forward to taking some new ones in the coming weeks, getting a bit bored of reduxing old stuff :)

Post your results, we could do with some new contributers here :)

Very nice :) post more. Is that the bridge at Kinlochleven?

By equine do you mean you cover the pleasure rides and events and what have you? Or commissions from folk?

Edited by OpenC
13 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Very nice :) post more. Is that the bridge at Kinlochleven?

By equine do you mean you cover the pleasure rides and events and what have you? Or commissions from folk?

Thanks bud!

Yeh that is indeed the bridge at Kinlochleven, have you been? Gorgeous area!

I usually cover one day events, and do photoshoots at yards, etc...

I haven't been for too long due to killer diseases, but aye I know the whole west coast pretty much like the back of my hand (at least, from Oban upward where the Munros are). I've spent a lot of my life driving up and down the A82 at five in the morning having crawled out of bed at half two to go and climb some godforsaken peaty lump in the middle of nowhere :lol:

9 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I haven't been for too long due to killer diseases, but aye I know the whole west coast pretty much like the back of my hand (at least, from Oban upward where the Munros are). I've spent a lot of my life driving up and down the A82 at five in the morning having crawled out of bed at half two to go and climb some godforsaken peaty lump in the middle of nowhere :lol:

HAHA love it!

I'd love to go back when we are allowed. I quite fancy going to The Isle of Mull to see if I can get some shots of Puffins, Sea Eagles and other things. I'd quite fancy climbing Ben Nevis at some point!

@O Neillagain, or anybody else who can answer this :)

My new (well, preowned but new to me) gear turned up and I've just spent a frustrating afternoon and morning wrestling with it, particularly with the 16-35 f4L which has a stellar reputation but which I couldn't get a decent picture out of.  The 50mm and 85mm did better but I still missed a lot of shots (see Pets thread).

I eventually realised that I was missing everything that I was focusing to infinity for, and then it clicked that the camera has microadjustment so is probably worth a look.  Immediately the issue is resolved - the 16-35 had been focusing past infinity (which isn't far away on an UWA) and turned into the lens it's supposed to be, and the 50 and 85 are focusing where they should.

I just wonder about whether I should have had to do this.  It's not something I've ever done with any of my cameras before and although the fact that there's a menu option for "shift all lenses by this much" suggests to me that it's not an uncommon issue, is it one you've had to deal with?  Do you just live with it, or would you be returning the camera for this reason?  And if it's just one of those things to live with, is there a science to getting it right?  I just changed the body to -5 and it appears to be bang on now.

Edited by OpenC

I actually had this very conversation back in 2012 with the Canon repair man at Roland Garros and if it turns out that if your equipment is slightly off focus then the Canon repair team are simply going to go into the menu and make the micro adjustment settings for you and send it back with a bill for the labour time.

If you want to read a bit more on AF Microadjustment then I recommend this post on The Digital Picture which explains a bit about it and the methods for making adjustments. You'll probably know a lot of theory going on here already but it's a good read: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/af-microadjustment-tips.aspx

I think that post will offer you a much better insight than I could myself but it's safe to say that the requirement for micro adjustments is not as uncommon as people may think and not really a 'fault' so much as a tool for correct calibration to accommodate for percentage errors in the build of precise pieces of equipment.

Edited by O Neill

:thup: thanks as ever man, that's good to know.

Now I just need to see if I can get it cleaned up, arrived with a filthy sensor and a mirror box full of more dust.  The one thing I hate above all other things with SLRs is dust and shite on the focusing screen and mirror.  Makes not the least bit of difference to the image or how hard it is to take the image, but it drives me mad :lol:

I'm trying out a Sony RX10 mk IV at the minute.  I've used Sony cameras for years (since the first RX100 in 2013 or thereabouts) so I'm familiar with their menu system and I always felt like the moaning about it was a little bit overdone.

I'm struggling this time. I was thinking that it must be because it's by some distance the most up-to-date camera I've ever used, but it's not - the X100F came out in the same year.  I now know what people mean when they say that Sony cameras are more like computers with a camera attached.  Fuck me, I feel like a 90 year old dog trying to fly a helicopter using this thing :lol:  The autofocus technology is seriously impressive but it's such a complicated camera to set up :anguish: It's absolutely insane, but the tracking autofocus is so good it's probably worth persevering with.  Will give it a couple of weeks, anyway.

Edited by OpenC
On 07/04/2021 at 12:40, OpenC said:

I'm trying out a Sony RX10 mk IV at the minute.  I've used Sony cameras for years (since the first RX100 in 2013 or thereabouts) so I'm familiar with their menu system and I always felt like the moaning about it was a little bit overdone.

I'm struggling this time. I was thinking that it must be because it's by some distance the most up-to-date camera I've ever used, but it's not - the X100F came out in the same year.  I now know what people mean when they say that Sony cameras are more like computers with a camera attached.  Fuck me, I feel like a 90 year old dog trying to fly a helicopter using this thing :lol:  The autofocus technology is seriously impressive but it's such a complicated camera to set up :anguish: It's absolutely insane, but the tracking autofocus is so good it's probably worth persevering with.  Will give it a couple of weeks, anyway.

You're just getting old, man :D

Nice pics, though!