U.S. Politics - You f*cking useless bastards.

Just now, Ameritoon said:

Michigan has some of the worst roads in the nation so naturally everyone there is paying premiums on car insurance. Of course, there's no public transportation to speak of so you have to have a car to survive. It's a never ending cycle in most places.

Can confirm. It's an actual hellscape with the conditions of the roads there, holy shit.

Some of the Interstates I've driven on are nothing more than shit dual carriageways. I5 around Portland has some bends that are stupidly sharp for a main road for example. LA was better but then you have all the cars in the universe, everyone is doing 90 and no one seems to understand that the faster lanes are towards the middle of the road. 

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Some of the Interstates I've driven on are nothing more than shit dual carriageways. I5 around Portland has some bends that are stupidly sharp for a main road for example. LA was better but then you have all the cars in the universe, everyone is doing 90 and no one seems to understand that the faster lanes are towards the middle of the road. 

That’s because our faster lanes are the left lane. If that’s what you meant by the center of the road though I apologize. 

And driving in LA is absolutely the fucking worst. :lol: 

Edited by cubaricho
49 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

That’s because our faster lanes are the left lane. If that’s what you meant by the center of the road though I apologize. 

And driving in LA is absolutely the fucking worst. :lol: 

Yeah I mean the left lane, where as in USA everyone just drives whatever speed they want in any lane. LA driving is madness but was quite enjoyable tbh. 

San Francisco is frankly even worse, despite it being much smaller. I've lived in both the Bay Area and LA, and much prefer LA, at least to San Francisco and Oakland. San Jose is a cakewalk compared to either though. The 880 to East Bay is like driving outside Sarajevo in 1994, given the condition of the road.

7 hours ago, Ameritoon said:

Michigan has some of the worst roads in the nation so naturally everyone there is paying premiums on car insurance. Of course, there's no public transportation to speak of so you have to have a car to survive. It's a never ending cycle in most places.

Isn’t that partly because of the enormous variations in climate? Roads have to cope with very cold weather in Winter and getting fucked up by snowploughs, then hot Summers in which the State puts the roads back together again.

5 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Isn’t that partly because of the enormous variations in climate? Roads have to cope with very cold weather in Winter and getting fucked up by snowploughs, then hot Summers in which the State puts the roads back together again.

We don’t have any reflective bumps on our roads here because of snow plows. But one year they spent something stupid like $30 million to outfit our main highways with them and they were gone after the first big snow. :lol: 

Up in the mountains though they are working on some LED/in-the-road ones that are awesome. 

Edited by cubaricho
1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Yup, that's what we're told. I'm not sure why it's so much worse in Michigan, though.

It might be also be due to the number of freeze thaw cycles. If you have a number of days where it goes above zero in the morning and goes below zero in the night, then it creates these cycles. In the morning, water seeps into the cracks in the pavement, then expands when it freezes in the night. I have heard that regions having higher number of freeze thaw cycles have poorer pavements. I think I remember reading somewhere that Mid Atlantic has the highest number of freeze thaw cycles, but I might be wrong. 

Edited by rgk_lfc
12 hours ago, Adam said:

I5 is loooong.  Goes from Vancouver to Tijuana, so there are definitely parts that are smaller and less maintained along the way.  The Sac-LA stretch is great, albeit the most boring road in the state, and goes up to 8 lanes in places.

:lol:  My experience of LA is that no-one is doing 90 because the traffic never moves at all.  If you took the opening scene from  La-La Land but replaced the singing and dancing with road rage it'd be pretty accurate.

8 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

San Francisco is frankly even worse, despite it being much smaller. I've lived in both the Bay Area and LA, and much prefer LA, at least to San Francisco and Oakland. San Jose is a cakewalk compared to either though. The 880 to East Bay is like driving outside Sarajevo in 1994, given the condition of the road.

I prefer San Francisco for driving, but Sacramento was an absolute dream compared to both of them.  Traffic wasn't that bad, roads were well maintained, and drivers weren't as massive dickheads as in the rest of the state  Agreed on the 880 though, it's like they forgot to repair it after the World Series earthquake.

Edited by Troll

Tell you what, he's not perfect, he's a centrist after all, but Biden is a good fucking leader. It's a little concerning that he seems to say what's convenient at the time (thinking back to when he used to rail against black crime), but right now, he's doing all the right things and he's not being a cunt about it either, but trying to explain it respectfully. Much to respect.  

Folk have been puzzled as to why "Cyber Ninjas", the right-wing evangelical startup doing this dodgy "audit" in Arizona are shining UV lights on the ballots. Originally it was suggested they were looking for watermarks, but Arizona don't watermark ballots. Now they've said they're looking for traces of bamboo in the paper to see if they're secret fake ballots that were made in China. :lol: