Well this is rather scary.

Nearly a third of people who have been in hospital suffering from Covid-19 are readmitted for further treatment within four months of being discharged, and one in eight of patients dies in the same period, doctors have found.

The striking long-term impact of the disease has prompted doctors to call for ongoing tests and monitoring of former coronavirus patients to detect early signs of organ damage and other complications caused by the virus.

While Covid is widely known to cause serious respiratory problems, the virus can also infect and damage other organs such as the heart, liver and kidneys.

Researchers at University College London, the Office for National Statistics, and the University of Leicester, compared medical records of nearly 48,000 people who had had hospital treatment for Covid and had been discharged by 31 August 2020, with records from a matched control group of people in the general population.

The records were used to track rates of readmission, of deaths, and of diagnoses for a range of respiratory, heart, kidney, liver and metabolic diseases, such as diabetes.

After an average follow-up time of 140 days, nearly a third of the Covid patients who had been discharged from hospital had been readmitted and about one in eight had died, rates considerably higher than seen in the control group.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/01/almost-third-of-uk-covid-hospital-patients-readmitted-within-four-months

Presumably those people aren't included in PHE Covid death stats if the death doesn't happen 28 days after their postive test. Luckily that's outweighed by all those people who were hit by a bus after their test, which Facebook physicians assure me is the main driver of the soaring bodycount. Thousands smeared across the road everywhere you go, swab still up the nose. 

15 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

What’s the consensus here around COVID vaccine passports? For or against?

For it reluctantly, while this thing is around and fairly uncontrolled by a long term vaccine. When we're able to treat it the same as say the flu, that's when you relax the passport thing.

37 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Strongly against. Unnecessary and overzealous authoritarianism with little justification. Horrendously unfair on anybody not vaccinated yet. Amazed so many people are happy to have it waved through. 

But then I also think lockdowns are an affront to democratic society, an overreach and should have seen more resistance from both sides of the politician spectrum so perhaps I'm the extremist? 

Edited by ponsaelius
4 hours ago, BlueStar said:

Presumably those people aren't included in PHE Covid death stats if the death doesn't happen 28 days after their postive test. Luckily that's outweighed by all those people who were hit by a bus after their test, which Facebook physicians assure me is the main driver of the soaring bodycount. Thousands smeared across the road everywhere you go, swab still up the nose. 

28 days isn’t the only method that’s applied. They also count deaths if they’re up to 60 days after a positive covid test and will count deaths beyond 60 days if covid is mentioned on the death certificate.

55 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

For international travel it’s a no brainer and something that already exists to some extent.

19 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

28 days isn’t the only method that’s applied. They also count deaths if they’re up to 60 days after a positive covid test and will count deaths beyond 60 days if covid is mentioned on the death certificate.

Thought that was for ONS figures though, and the PHE ones were just any deaths 28 days after a positive test?

For domestic use, vaccination passports will serve only to divide the country up by age. So you will have unvaccinated people in their 20s/30s working all day in hospitality venues in placed they would not be allowed to step foot into as a customer. Given the level of uptake in the UK, by the time all ages have been offered the vaccine, the benefit of restricting those without vaccination status would be negligible. The whole thing is a chance to put out some more juicy contracts for something that will offer no benefit save a couple of months.

I have my eyes on next week's announcements. I have some international travel which I need to do sooner rather than later and while I'm happy to pay for and sit through whatever testing and quarantine is required on both sides but at present I'm not legally allowed to depart the UK (I am legally allowed to land at the other end). 

Strongly against vaccine passports but I’d reluctantly accept them if they came with a six-month time limit built in.

I can’t see how they can possibly be needed longer than that. The whole point of vaccinating people is supposed to be that we can get back to normal. That normal must surely include a tiny risk that you might meet someone in a pub who has covid. 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Strongly against. Unnecessary and overzealous authoritarianism with little justification. Horrendously unfair on anybody not vaccinated yet. Amazed so many people are happy to have it waved through. 

But then I also think lockdowns are an affront to democratic society, an overreach and should have seen more resistance from both sides of the politician spectrum so perhaps I'm the extremist? 

How is a lockdown an affront to democratic society?

1 hour ago, BlueStar said:

Thought that was for ONS figures though, and the PHE ones were just any deaths 28 days after a positive test?

It’s the one PHE uses

ONS use a system that includes the clinical judgement on cause of death. So if a Dr concluded someone died of COVID but the person had never tested positive, they’re still recorded as a covid death

Edited by bobbydazzla
1 hour ago, Tomato Deuce said:

For international travel it’s a no brainer and something that already exists to some extent.

:thup:

Not that it would ever be something they'd institute here, but I wouldn't be against some sort of verification from convert venues/stadiums to get into a show/game for the foreseeable future. Doubt that even happens but think at least it would be a good idea to jumpstart international tourism as much as possible right now.

Edited by Ameritoon

I think anything that fundamentally divides a population (i.e. something as black and white as either being vaccinated or not being vaccinated) is potentially very dangerous, particularly in this era of leaderships that seem to be fuelled by division, and love politicising health matters. But I think the comfort of knowing COVID isn't sloshing around at a gig or on a plane would give me significant reassurance. It's a really difficult one. I don't know where I stand tbh. If it comes in, I don't think my immediate reaction wouldn't be one of disagreement, but I'd be a bit worried. 

7 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I think this would be an incentive to get people to get vaccinated more than anything else.