9 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Didn't realise France was looking so bad. 45K tested positive yesterday. 

Aye that is why that lass was being pretty upfront with Boris yesterday at the Liaison Committee, about French drivers crossing the border with no testing in place.

19 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

It's over. Get everything open. Concerts. Flights. Back to normal.

Pubs, concerts, I could maybe see your point, but why would you open up flights when the rest of Europe is deep into their third wave?

36 minutes ago, Troll said:

Pubs, concerts, I could maybe see your point, but why would you open up flights when the rest of Europe is deep into their third wave?

Laugh in their vermin faces and sing about shooting their grandparents.

So as a discussion point, I'm interested in views on this.

What do you all make of the things which all the tin foil hat brigade said would happen, are starting to happen?

Mandatory vaccines
Vaccination passports

I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist at all but it's interesting that 2 things that they said would happen, are starting to happen and roll out.

Thoughts?

I'd be fine if I needed to provide documentation for international travel because I already have my yellow fever certificate and that actually includes plenty of space for other vaccinations by design. Even though some kind of app is perhaps the way things are heading for ease of use, security, etc I do think going down the route of adapting the yellow fever certificate would allow for a wider range of people worldwide to show something official. It's endorsed by the WHO and must be completed by a certified pharmacist, plus has all your passport info in. Obviously easier to forge if you're that way inclined but I think it would be easier to distribute. 

Depending on the type of holiday, I don't often take my primary phone with me (just take a basic one to use a clock more than anything) so a certificate would be nice from a purely selfish perspective! 

14 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

What do you all make of the things which all the tin foil hat brigade said would happen, are starting to happen?

Mandatory vaccines
Vaccination passports

Did anyone argue that these things wouldn't be a possibility? Isn't the argument just about government overreach? Certain people don't want such things, which is understandable. Not sure this is a tin hat brigade discussion until you start talking about 5g/bill gates/mind control.

29 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

So as a discussion point, I'm interested in views on this.

Mandatory vaccines
Vaccination passports

I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist at all but it's interesting that 2 things that they said would happen, are starting to happen and roll out.

Thoughts?

I'd be happy with a mandatory vaccine as it lowers the risk to everyone. Isn't going to happen.
Passports, again unlikely to happen at a national level but if you run a business you can ask for proof. No doubt we will get the free speech brigade out, but private business can set whatever terms they want. However they'd be daft to do so until everyone has been offered the first jab. 

Maybe if the tinfoil hat morons, took them off and got a vaccine like everyone else we could go back to normal. And they could go back to more serious issues like 5G turning everyone in to lizards. 

24 minutes ago, Troll said:

When did they announce mandatory vaccinations?

They haven't, as you know.

But the whole 'Vaccinate and you can do X, Y, Z, or don't have a vaccination and you can't', sort of does send people down a certain path to thinking they're mandatory, just without the name.

Edited by OoOGazOoO

But when were those things ever dismissed? They were always mooted as a possibility, not by the nutters, who were more concerned about 5G masts iirc, but by reputable scientists. Vaccine passports have been a thing for years, there are loads of countries that require certain vaccinations before entry.

It’s not over and they can keep the pubs closed a bit longer, but surely we can do loads of crazy shit now like go round people’s houses?

I don’t think the impact of being unable to ‘mix households’ for eight months can be understated. Or if nothing else more outdoor things like team sports should have been allowed earlier on this year.  There has been an increased focus on mental health problems in recent years, but if you tell people to stay at home and only spend time with people you live with (who they may not even like), you’re telling people to be depressed and taking away ways to handle it. 

4 hours ago, NUFCDoog said:

Continuing the trend of cases edging up but deaths decreasing. I guess that's a positive. Just a tad concerning the cases arent dropping anymore and potentially rising, lets hope it doesnt result in extra hospital admissions.

But when you take into account the amount of daily tests being carried out at the minute it's inevitable that there would be a rise in positive tests. Key fact is deaths and hospital admissions are falling off a cliff.

6 minutes ago, Magpie said:

But when you take into account the amount of daily tests being carried out at the minute it's inevitable that there would be a rise in positive tests. Key fact is deaths and hospital admissions are falling off a cliff.

Yeh exactly, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see cases to remain in the multiple thousands but those suffering from severe illness and worse, death, decreasing - at the end of the day, that is the job of the vaccine and then it would become much the same as other illnesses (in a way).