The Current-Gen Thread (PS5, Xbox Series X)

Figured we could have our own dedicated thread to discuss the next-gen consoles.

Xbox released a bunch of new information today:

A few months ago, we revealed Xbox Series X, our fastest, most powerful console ever, designed for a console generation that has you, the player, at its center. When it is released this holiday season, Xbox Series X will set a new bar for performance, speed and compatibility, all while allowing you to bring your gaming legacy forward with you and play thousands of games from four generations

The next major tenet of the Xbox Series X is speed, which can be defined in a large number of different ways. Modern devices have changed our expectations on how quickly you can move between experiences or applications. Most of us want to be able to instantly jump into an experience or return right to where we left off. This influenced the team designing the system architecture, as they wanted to ensure they enabled gamers to spend more time playing and less time waiting.

A big part of that revolves around the addition of a solid-state drive (SSD). We have reached the upper limits of traditional rotational drive performance, so the team knew they needed to invest in SSD level I/O speeds to deliver the quality of experience they aspired to with Xbox Series X. This was an area where the team really wanted to innovate, and they knew this could be a game changer for the new generation. But they didn’t want the I/O system to be just about your games loading faster.

Enter Xbox Velocity Architecture, which features tight integration between hardware and software and is a revolutionary new architecture optimized for streaming of in game assets. This will unlock new capabilities that have never been seen before in console development, allowing 100 GB of game assets to be instantly accessible by the developer. The components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture all combine to create an effective multiplier on physical memory that is, quite literally, a game changer.

The Xbox Velocity Architecture is the new architecture we’ve created for the Xbox Series X to unlock new capabilities never-before seen in console development. It consists of four components: our custom NVMe SSD, a dedicated hardware decompression block, the all new DirectStorage API, and Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS). This combination of custom hardware and deep software integration allows developers to radically improve asset streaming and effectively multiply available memory. It will enable richer and more dynamic living worlds unlike anything ever seen before. It also effectively eliminates loading times, and makes fast travel systems just that: fast.

Players will see the benefits of the improved hardware of Xbox Series X for backwards compatible games, including improved boot and load times, more stable frame rates, higher resolutions and improved image quality. The Compatibility team is also continuing to create entirely new techniques and innovation that we can use to further enhance the existing catalog of games when running on Xbox Series X.

The Xbox team is so committed to the concept of compatibility and cross generation play, that not only do your games move forward with you, but so do your Xbox One accessories, your game saves, and progression. In fact, your entire gaming legacy moves forward with you to the next generation.

Specs:

ETOq7-ZXsAAdmBS?format=jpg&name=large

System demos of the quick resume and loading features:

Hoping to see a game running at least

Unlikely given the wording there, suspect they'll just talk about the system itself and give the tech geeks something to breakdown.

But it's communication at least.

That main thing that first loading speed demo did was convince me I'm right not to have an Xbox 1 X 360 whatever it's called.

The quick switch between games looks good. I really like how quick the Switch is to load, put to sleep, etc so this looks like a step in that direction.

But seriously wtf is going on with the naming of these things. Seems Wii U all over again.

My favourite part of these announcements is how BIG they're both going in on SSDs as if it's this groundbreaking technology. I know there's always this kinda comment from PC types, but seriously fellas? SSDs? You both should've just thrown a fuckin SSD in the later iterations of your previous consoles, you cunts.

My favourite part of these announcements is how BIG they're both going in on SSDs as if it's this groundbreaking technology. I know there's always this kinda comment from PC types, but seriously fellas? SSDs? You both should've just thrown a fuckin SSD in the later iterations of your previous consoles, you cunts.

Custom SSD in PS5 :hmm:

That really should be a NVMe.

I think the SSD stuff is mainly important for developers, seeing as it will allow them to make games without the bottle necks of loading screens etc etc.

The fact several games spent time trying to hide them like in lifts or Marcus on GOW speaking into headphones lol.

It should mean it changes a lot how console games are made, time will tell how much of it will be used.

I think the SSD stuff is mainly important for developers, seeing as it will allow them to make games without the bottle necks of loading screens etc etc.

The fact several games spent time trying to hide them like in lifts or Marcus on GOW speaking into headphones lol.

It should mean it changes a lot how console games are made, time will tell how much of it will be used.

SSDs don't usually completely eliminate load times in games, the CPU generally still has a lot of work to do when things are loading.

SSDs don't usually completely eliminate load times in games, the CPU generally still has a lot of work to do when things are loading.

Yes, you need more core's with faster express lanes to get the best performance.

I can only go off what they said and what he claimed about load times and it's supposedly there to help with things like that.

From the developer reactions on Twitter they seem quite excited but the general speed of the thing.

Surprised they're not matching Microsoft. Do the variances really matter?

One of the Digital Foundry guys said they both have different strengths and weaknesses and it's not easily noticeable by pure numbers.

There's a whole article on Eurogamer but a lot of the side by side numbers don't seem to paint a accurate picture of performance from what he's saying.

Because if it did it would seem to indicate Xbox is a much more powerful machine.

Also the Hard Drive seem small on paper but we don't know how it's handled, like for example the Switch has a tiny hard drive but it's not been a problem for that system so far.

We won't really know how much of an issue or non issue it is until they release more information.

• 4 weeks later...

PS5 will only have a 825gb hdd? So if the games double or triple in size, you can have like 3-5 games at once.

Don't think games are getting much bigger.

Also isn’t there some debate wether Sony’s figure is on top of OS data whereas Xbox figure isn’t so not a full 1TB? May of misread it somewhere.

PS5 will only have a 825gb hdd? So if the games double or triple in size, you can have like 3-5 games at once.

Dunno about that, FF7 remake is almost 100GB installed

Dunno about that, FF7 remake is almost 100GB installed

I'm sure the Sony guy said something about games not having to be as big on these consoles because of how the SSD works?