Still not worthy of a thread

GOAT  

631 members have voted

1. 1. GOAT

• L. Messi
    • C. Ronaldo

This poll is closed to new votes

This is my problem with xG. I understand it as a metric to predict games on a more individual basis, but stuff like this makes it look like a load of nonesense. 

Burnley are a far more effective team than both us and Fulham. Everton might not be as good as their position suggests but worse than us and Fulham? Really?

Theres a reason why Fulham are below us despite us being absolutely rancid. They're not very good. They might well stay up, but it'll be largely down to our inability to win games of football. Having them sat 14th in a table that's supposed to measure how good a team actually is just seems flat out disingenuous.

5 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

This is my problem with xG. I understand it as a metric to predict games on a more individual basis, but stuff like this makes it look like a load of nonesense. 

Burnley are a far more effective team than both us and Fulham. Everton might not be as good as their position suggests but worse than us and Fulham? Really?

Theres a reason why Fulham are below us despite us being absolutely rancid. They're not very good. They might well stay up, but it'll be largely down to our inability to win games of football. Having them sat 14th in a table that's supposed to measure how good a team actually is just seems flat out disingenuous.

xG is a measure of how good the chances are basically, based on where the shot is from, angle, distance, foot vs head etc etc 

If you create lots of chances you can have a great xG but if your finishing is worse than the model suggests you'll obviously end up much worse off. And same with defending, you can concede lots of chances but have better saving than average. 

It's not really a measure of how 'good' a team you are, because finishing, saving, blocking etc are all part of that equation as well. It's just one measure to show how good the opportunities you have and concede are.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo