Still not worthy of a thread - General Chat edition

How do you open a screw cap bottle?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How do you open a screw cap bottle?

• Hold bottle with writing hand, unscrew cap with non-writing hand?
    • Hold bottle with non-writing hand, unscrew cap with writing hand?

5 hours ago, thomas said:

Volkswagen America rebranding to Voltswagen and targeting electric. They had to issue a release saying this might sound like an early April Fool's day joke but it's real :lol:

https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1499

5 hours ago, Beren said:

That's amazing tbh.

And it turns out it was a lie. They "accidentally" sent out the PR that they were going to send out on April Fools, or something.

16 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

And it turns out it was a lie. They "accidentally" sent out the PR that they were going to send out on April Fools, or something.

It's a bizarre move. They literally lied to reporters for no good reason :lol:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/30/volkswagens-name-change-of-us-voltswagen-operations-was-april-fools-marketing-prank-source-says.html

An unfinished version of the initial press release went out briefly on VW’s U.S. media newsroom website Monday morning before it was taken down. Media outlets, including CNBC, reported it as news after it was confirmed by unnamed sources within the company, who apparently lied to several reporters.

10 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Such a ridiculous way of thinking. I remember in Primary School our Headteacher didnt like "competitive sport", so discouraged football at lunch. Actually thinking about it, he may have banned it for a bit. But he was absolutely fine with cricket, which was odd. Remember getting back in the classroom after a breaktime or lunch playing cricket, a bit worn out obviously cos kids run a lot. And he was like "How can you be this worn out after playing cricket?!"

I hate people that just dont like sport and blame it for ridiculous things. Fucking Charge of the Light Briggade at lunchtime, man. You'd have got polo mints pelted at you in my high school if you did that. 

Our primary school banned footballs over a certain size. So penny floaters were out but size 3 casers were in. I think they changed their minds after a few windows were ruined because of it. :lol:

9 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Our primary school banned footballs over a certain size. So penny floaters were out but size 3 casers were in. I think they changed their minds after a few windows were ruined because of it. :lol:

We played 20-a-side football with tennis balls on concrete during the long inclement weather months, up to an embarrassingly old age. :mackems:Mad to think about that now.

32 minutes ago, thomas said:

I'm loving the angle press has on this now :lol:

"The automaker, which pleaded guilty to deceiving regulators about the true pollution levels of hundreds of thousands of diesel vehicles, then published a press release on Tuesday"

"That’s a nod to the age of the American subsidiary — not the larger Volkswagen Group, which was founded in the 1930s before it became part of the Nazi war machine."

"a strategic shift that, again, was inspired by the fact that the company was caught installing software on its vehicles that was meant to fool regulators into allowing dirty cars on the road."

"But now we know the rebrand was nothing more than another lie from a company that’s become known for something else: lying."

Edited by Kaizero
25 minutes ago, Beren said:

We played 20-a-side football with tennis balls on concrete during the long inclement weather months, up to an embarrassingly old age. :mackems:Mad to think about that now.

We weren’t even allowed tennis balls at certain points - everyone donated a sock and we rolled them together.

Straight out of Monty Python.

30 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

We weren’t even allowed tennis balls at certain points - everyone donated a sock and we rolled them together.

Straight out of Monty Python.

:lol:

I cracked the window of the scariest teacher in secondary school with a wayward lunch time strike. Absolutely shat it for weeks. Nothing ever happened.

We used to play nuts, just trying to nutmeg eachother, on the way to and from school with any discarded rubbish available, usually fizzy drink bottles. Great times.

Not necessarily related as I haven't seen any pics, just got me thinking. We now have 100% biodegradable products in use at festivals and the like, to serve food. Which is great, bt does it not relieve some of the guilt that encouraged many to previously dispose of their litter. And would it not be better for the environment if biodegradable stuff was left to biodegrade rather than transport it using fuel hungry bin trucks?

You don't necessarily want stuff biodegrading on public pavements though; biodegrading is all well and good but there's a place for it. Unless there's a new form of biodegradable which means 'just literally disappears into thin air overnight with no catalyst'

Too many folk are lazy, selfish cunts and that's pretty much the top and bottom of it. I don't think it's a British problem, most places I've been have been similar tbh (unless it was just British folk who were there at the same time as me making the mess, which I won't rule out)

Edited by OpenC
23 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The images of all the litter on various public spaces are fucking awful. State of these absolute arseholes. Incredible levels of not giving a fuck. 

Hideous. The state of Tynemouth on some of the images. Is it generally that bad on a busy hot day or has everyone turned into bellends over lockdown?

Hang them with the peodo's.

My personal belief is that until we employ a force of hard looking vigilantes to go around and actively, without fear, call people out on being lazy and selfish cunts in public, a lot of society's problems will never go away

Edited by OpenC

Surely some sort of compost bin instead of rubbish bin would do the trick. Although you would likely get people putting nonbiodegradable stuff in and getting lambasted for not being lazy.

Maybe we should just get rid of all non biodegradable packaging.

Littering like you see in parks and beaches after a hot day is one of those things where I can't even get inside the mind of the perpetrator, it's completely incomprehensible to me that you could leave a load of cans on a beach for someone else to pick up. Murder's more of an understandable offence to me than littering is.

Just now, Wullie said:

Littering like you see in parks and beaches after a hot day is one of those things where I can't even get inside the mind of the perpetrator, it's completely incomprehensible to me that you could leave a load of cans on a beach for someone else to pick up. Murder's more of an understandable offence to me than littering is.

I do an amusing joke sometimes (amusing for me only, as the intention is to make my lass recoil with embarrassment): if we're out and about and have had a coffee or something, when finished I'll brazenly just chuck the cup on the ground and insinuate walking away (cue her cries of "omg I'm going to kill you, pick that up immediately, you embarrassing pillock," and ensuing chuckles from me (I find myself to be great craic)), before immediately picking it up and finding a bin like a normal functioning human. But I make myself feel ill even doing that, even though it's entirely just a mickey-take. It feels inherently wrong. Like you say, I can't feasibly get inside the head of someone who legitimately can't be fucked to pick up their rubbish. 

5 minutes ago, OpenC said:

My personal belief is that until we employ a force of hard looking vigilantes to go around and actively, without fear, call people out on being lazy and selfish cunts in public, a lot of society's problems will never go away

:badyao: