What mood are you in?

3 hours ago, OpenC said:

You can't always be successful at resuscitation man; it's great that you know enough to have given it a go. I couldn't have done it; would have been completely fucking useless. Be proud of the effort you made rather than disappointed in yourself at the eventual outcome.

I hope you're aalreet :thup:

Definitely this. Good on you.

4 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Proud of you, Bluf. And I’m sorry that you had to go through this. There was nothing you or anyone else could have done.

Echoing this :thup: You're a good man and the world needs more of your kind.

2 hours ago, BlufPurdi said:

Just his dog barking, which in isolation isn't a concern but when it went on for a minute, and given the tenement setup, it set a few bells off as his and my dog clash in the close and it makes an almighty racket so we try to avoid dogs. I find it hard to explain what Glasgow tenements are like, but some are cramped as fuck, and some aren't. We're top floor and can see right down the centre, so I could see his dog barking and circling about and the fact William wasn't telling the dog to weesht seemed weird.

Leaned out a bit more and could see him lying on the deck. Went down and shook him and in that moment, that split second I could have honestly shat myself in fear. Also the selfishness in me, I just thought "please no, I do not want to deal with this", it's amazing how much you can think in a moment. At this point I wasn't even thinking of CPR, I was rattled and phoned 999. And this was my first shout for help in the close. Go through the motions of that and start getting him into position, and might have been the anxiety of the moment but I did not remember any of the training I'd had years ago.

Just followed what she said on the phone, dog's barking like fuck, my second cry for help goes out. Keep asking how long I need to do this, nothing's happening, what should be happening, dog's barking, third shout for help but a bit more aggressively, 'calm down, no one else can do anything you're not doing, you're doing fine' she says, fourth cry for help with caveat 'at least take the fucking dog'. Go on for at least another 3 minutes, dog barking, her talking, at this point I was actually crying and let out the final 'can someone please come and fucking help', which Alice seemed to respond to. She comes down, takes the dog upstairs, I'm still doing CPR and knackered at this point too, possibly just the nerves, no idea, but I feel hollow. Operator says they're nearly here, about a minute later Alice shouts down that they're coming, I feel a sense of relief but short lived as I come to the conclusion he's already dead. They went on for another 20 minutes of doing the same, I couldn't watch anymore though, came up the stairs and spewed on the hall floor then sat a bit dazed in front of the laptop and into a weird state of refreshing here and Twitter for 10 minutes as if nothing had happened. Then finally snapped out of it and posted in here. 

The body was just taken away and we're only just now being let out, if we wish to. 

You are a god damn hero, dude. We'd actually have civilization if more people were like you.

7 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Echoing this :thup: You're a good man and the world needs more of your kind.

Thirded, you did everything you could mate.

Just caught up with the last page, Jesus. As the others have said, Bluf should be proud of his actions. Top bloke.

It's genuinely terrifying to think about being in that situation, even having had the training.

Well this is going to be odd given the last posts, but I'm kind of elated. I've finally been allowed to go back on antidepressants after a 3 year experiment I had no say in failed. So I might actually stop being an aggressive tosser on here. :aww: 

Saw a fairly big group of kids getting absolutely wankered in earlier on. Cans, make your own 2L mixers, and it stank of weed. A few were well on the way already.

Took me right back, great to see. 

Its my step dad’s birthday today so we went down with the boys to see him and my mam and the dog Max a beautiful soft gentle Lab (in the garden, socially distanced, lively weather). First time in months I’ve seen them and the first time this year the boys have seen them. I think it did them more good than my mam and step dad, lifted my mood no end too. They have both had the jab but they only get out to the shops, but they are a happy go lucky couple, but I won’t lie it was emotional and really nice. Can’t wait for them to get their second vaccine and us ours in full (the wife has had her first). 

Upset, angry and pissed off.

My dad's an alcoholic, he has a daily dependence on it now.  I'm trying to speak to him about the issue but get 2 responses.

1) Everyone my age drinks like I do (they don't)

2) My mam's death.

Living back with him since September has been very hard and i've reached boiling point now.  I need to move out ASAP.  Spoke to his sister about it but he just refuses to acknowledge he has any issues or even attempt to deal with him.

Ah man that's a really tough situation mate. There will be others in here who can give better advice, it's hard to help someone who isn't ready for it. Stay strong and look after yourself, and do what you need to do for your own mental health. 

6 minutes ago, Si said:

Ah man that's a really tough situation mate. There will be others in here who can give better advice, it's hard to help someone who isn't ready for it. Stay strong and look after yourself, and do what you need to do for your own mental health. 

Thanks Si, I'm generally fine because I'm getting things sorted in my own life + my physical health is the best it's been for years.

4 hours ago, neesy111 said:

Upset, angry and pissed off.

My dad's an alcoholic, he has a daily dependence on it now.  I'm trying to speak to him about the issue but get 2 responses.

1) Everyone my age drinks like I do (they don't)

2) My mam's death.

Living back with him since September has been very hard and i've reached boiling point now.  I need to move out ASAP.  Spoke to his sister about it but he just refuses to acknowledge he has any issues or even attempt to deal with him.

Ah man neesy, I'm really sorry to hear about this.

My mam works in social care for local govt and says this is a huge problem amongst middle aged age group in the north east, i.e. people just sleepwalking into alcoholism in their droves.

It sounds like you're doing all you can by speaking to him and also his sister.  If he's not ready or willing to listen though then your options are extremely limited.

Perhaps you could look into Al Anon, which is specifically for those close to alcoholics?  I don't know much about those meetings and what they'll advise since I'm on the other side of the fence really, but from my limited knowledge I think they'd say you need to look after yourself first and foremost.

Some high-level info here, might be worth giving a meeting a go especially if they're likely all on Zoom or similar currently?

https://al-anon.org/newcomers/how-can-i-help-my/

https://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/faq/

https://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/getting-help/

https://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/find-a-meeting/ 

@Jill - do you know much about Al Anon, or any more advice you can give neesy?

Edited by Interpolic
4 hours ago, Interpolic said:

Ah man neesy, I'm really sorry to hear about this.

My mam works in social care for local govt and says this is a huge problem amongst middle aged age group in the north east, i.e. people just sleepwalking into alcoholism in their droves.

It sounds like you're doing all you can by speaking to him and also his sister.  If he's not ready or willing to listen though then your options are extremely limited.

Perhaps you could look into Al Anon, which is specifically for those close to alcoholics?  I don't know much about those meetings and what they'll advise since I'm on the other side of the fence really, but from my limited knowledge I think they'd say you need to look after yourself first and foremost.

Some high-level info here, might be worth giving a meeting a go especially if they're likely all on Zoom or similar currently?

https://al-anon.org/newcomers/how-can-i-help-my/

https://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/faq/

https://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/getting-help/

https://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/find-a-meeting/ 

@Jill - do you know much about Al Anon, or any more advice you can give neesy?

Thanks for the heads up!

My AA sponsor is also in Nar Anon (same as Al Anon but for families of people with all addictions). Both of those groups provide support on assisting addicts/alcoholics while keeping firm boundaries in place to minimise the impact on your own life. It sounds like it could be helpful for you @neesy111 - fire me a message and I can arrange for someone to contact you for a chat or provide meeting information. 

1 hour ago, Jill said:

Thanks for the heads up!

My AA sponsor is also in Nar Anon (same as Al Anon but for families of people with all addictions). Both of those groups provide support on assisting addicts/alcoholics while keeping firm boundaries in place to minimise the impact on your own life. It sounds like it could be helpful for you @neesy111 - fire me a message and I can arrange for someone to contact you for a chat or provide meeting information. 

Thanks both, will take a look.  His sister has just said what she thought over the phone.  I've just told him he's need to speak to someone first.

I won't let this get on top of myself, I'm mentally strong nowadays thankfully.

Proper grim rubbish nights' sleep, like. Worthwhile taking an extended lunch to nap if possible in those situations imo because hopefully you come out of it feeling a bit more rested so can do more in the afternoon that you'd have struggled with if you didn't nap. 

I'm a fucking terrible sleeper. Can lay for hours before nodding off or just wake up mid sleep and not get back for ages. Proper kills you the next day so I try and mitigate my awful performance by taking an hour or so somewhere. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar