The Running Tread

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

I get better by just always trying to better my last run, always been shite at setting up programs even though it's clearly better. I just don't have the same weekly schedule to set something up like that. 

Tbh you don't even need a schedule, just do one slow run a week keeping it in HR zone 2 and you'll see the difference. 

Yeah, treadmill sessions have been much easier since doing it in dad's garage with the TV. Can just whack some comedy on and I'm giggling away jogging 4 miles.

Almost look forward to it :lol:

Currently sitting on 96km since March 11th!

Got a schedule from the fiancée and she's keeping me right.

Finding the very bottom of my calves get tight as fuck (and quite tender, too), so I've had to ice them and stretch them out for a good half an hour after a longer session.

As someone who struggles with anxiety and depression, this has been helping no end. 

133km since the 11th of March.

Feeling great. Hit a personal best 5km yesterday with a time I wouldn't have thought was possible this time last month.

Most importantly, my usually fragile mental health is at an all time high ( for me anyway [emoji38]).

I'm going to be running 100 miles for charity in May. I suffer from kyphoscoliosis, so I'll be collecting for the Scoliosis Association UK at some point in the next few weeks.

2b993904-855a-444c-bac7-63c75c90b1a5.jpg
image of b

Edited by Rocker

I started running late summer last year mainly as a way to see the odd person and keep my fitness ticking over until the gyms reopen. 

But since the new year I've sort of become addicted and have been taking it seriously. I've always been relatively 'gym fit' but alway neglected cardio and it showed whenever I played five a side etc. 

I've recently hit my 5k at 23:30 which is 4 minutes faster than I was in January and nearly ten than I was in July last year. It's crazy how quickly you improve if you stick at it. Has probably been said a million times before in this thread but slower, longer runs are the key, I only try a flat out 5k once a month or so. Next time based goal is to do a half in under two hours which seems possible now but was a pipe dream last year. 

As the weather improves I've started to do a bit of trail running - does anyone have any recommendations - the forests near Rothbury look a good shout. So many nice places in Northumberland

@Rocker I did the 100 miles last month and it felt great. It's done wonders for my mental health - I find the longer runs quite medatitive esp if the scenery is nice! 

That's a fantastic time. I had a year off any exercise whatsoever so brining my 5km time down slowly but surely. It's currently 28 mins at the moment but it was 35 last month, so you're bang on about how quickly you can turn it around.

Going to get it down to 25 before summer rears it head.

Longer runs are my absolute favourite and I really look forward to Sunday when I get to run with my partner for a couple of hours.

Really wish I got into this sooner. :neutral:

Edited by Rocker

Mine was 27.30 at the turn of the year, you'll get it down there in no time. You will get there quick than you think.

Judging by that pic you put you're near Heaton which is where I'm running from too - if you want a decent long route - I like to do Byker Link > Haidrians Way until you hit the viaduct then back via Wallsend Burn, the two parks there and the Centurion Golf club - 10 miles give or take and very few roads to cross too and some nice scenery too! 

Edited by GeordieDazzler

It’s never too late to get in to running, that’s one of the beauties of it.

I tend to run 30-40 miles per week but hoping to slowly up it to over 60 miles per week to aim to hit my first sub 3 marathon.

Working from home for the past year has been tough on the mental health but it’s also been great for a quick lunchtime run!

31 minutes ago, Rocker said:

That's a fantastic time. I had a year off any exercise whatsoever so brining my 5km time down slowly but surely. It's currently 28 mins at the moment but it was 35 last month, so you're bang on about how quickly you can turn it around.

Going to get it down to 25 before summer rears it head.

Longer runs are my absolute favourite and I really look forward to Sunday when I get to run with my partner for a couple of hours.

Really wish I got into this sooner. :neutral:

That’s a heck of an improvement in a short space of time fella - nice one.

15 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

That’s a heck of an improvement in a short space of time fella - nice one.

Cheers mate. I was diagnosed with asthma in the first week of running (had it as a child but it hadn't bothered me since), so the first time was without my inhalers. Could hardly fucking breathe [emoji38]

Fuck me, good on you Gary. 

47 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

It’s never too late to get in to running, that’s one of the beauties of it.

I tend to run 30-40 miles per week but hoping to slowly up it to over 60 miles per week to aim to hit my first sub 3 marathon.

Working from home for the past year has been tough on the mental health but it’s also been great for a quick lunchtime run!

Yeah WaH has been amazing for running consistently. Newcastle is great for running too with so many parks all over! 

I've also been getting into running, being a mildly fat broad chested kinda fella I always thought it wasn't for me, but I did my first few 10k's last week in 54 minutes so I'm pretty happy. Very lucky to have my wife who's training for half marathons keep me in check, but mostly just doing 2 or 3 5-10k runs a week. Mostly pretty slow (around 6 mins/km) but can easily pick the pace up when needed.

Think I'm getting some IT band problems though, anyone any experience in this kinda stuff?

32 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Never had any shins problems before but my shins are starting to feel sore after a run. Especially my right shin. Was thinking shin splints but my mate said I would be in agony and that's not the case. It's painful but not ridiculously painful. 

I've had that and wondered if it might be a footwear issue. 

I've done 5k every day this week, it is satisfying like. Every time I do a faster one and take time off I think I'm hitting the limits of what I can do but then I remember the slower pace I've been doing all week that doesn't really put me much out of breath was only a PB 3 weeks ago. 

I've found getting a decent pair of purpose built trainers makes a massive difference. Can't miss with most of the major brands (Saucony, Brooks, Hoka etc) and if you shop around a little you can usually get a decent enough price. 

Most shops up here do gait analysis too and can recommend specific shoes for you. 

I bought some lovely Under Armour ones from Amazon which had some cracking reviews and I've got no complaints so far.

I need to find a relatively flat route for some of my runs. I know hills etc help with your training, but I'd like to see what some of my times would be without some of the awkward uphill parts of the circuit.

Oh, and running in wind is shite.

This is my second day off in a row. Longest since 11th March. Feel like a caged animal. All niggles have had time to sort themselves out though, so not all bad news.

We're going to do 15k tomorrow morning though, so looking forward to getting back out there. 

Some serious mileage in here!

I did my first half marathon last weekend, one hour 50, the last 3 k were an absolute killer. Dizzy, legs didn’t want to work, but finally made it. Should have fuelled properly before hand instead on running on half a bagel and a cup of coffee but know for next time! 

I did 10 miles with my partner yesterday. Longest run I've done since I started 5 weeks ago. Felt absolutely fine afterwards. I could've carried on for another 3/4 miles, but the other half reigns me in when I think I'm invincible.  We always do our longer runs on a Sunday, so next week she's penciled me in for 12 miles and the week after a half marathon.  If you asked me 5 weeks ago if I would be confident running 13 miles, I would've laughed at you.

I stopped my antidepressants at the start of the month and I don't think I could've maintained my mood without running, it really has been a revelation for me. 

I have been running on an off for about a year but only started regularly (every other day) for the past 6 weeks and I notice the improvement. Last year I struggled to do 2K used to get terrible trouble with my knees. I am currently running 7K at around about 5 mins 45 per K. I know not fast but it seems to be working at the moment. Any suggestions on what I should do next, should  try and complete the 7K quicker or slow down a little and add some distance? Gyms re-open in Wales on 3rd May but I want to keep running because like a few have said in here it helps with mental health. Before running was a chore I actually look forward to it now :)

1 hour ago, Rocker said:

I did 10 miles with my partner yesterday. Longest run I've done since I started 5 weeks ago. Felt absolutely fine afterwards. I could've carried on for another 3/4 miles, but the other half reigns me in when I think I'm invincible.  We always do our longer runs on a Sunday, so next week she's penciled me in for 12 miles and the week after a half marathon.  If you asked me 5 weeks ago if I would be confident running 13 miles, I would've laughed at you.

I stopped my antidepressants at the start of the month and I don't think I could've maintained my mood without running, it really has been a revelation for me. 

Just read this, that is superb Rocker. 

I am a bit scared of the longer distance at the moment, my main aim at the moment is to get to 10K and do a decent time and then either do a 10K race locally or here in Wales we have events called invincibl which is basically a 10K tough mudder type of thing. Done one a few years ago and my knees were in bits wasn't enjoyable at all. 

5 minutes ago, Tisd09 said:

I have been running on an off for about a year but only started regularly (every other day) for the past 6 weeks and I notice the improvement. Last year I struggled to do 2K used to get terrible trouble with my knees. I am currently running 7K at around about 5 mins 45 per K. I know not fast but it seems to be working at the moment. Any suggestions on what I should do next, should  try and complete the 7K quicker or slow down a little and add some distance? Gyms re-open in Wales on 3rd May but I want to keep running because like a few have said in here it helps with mental health. Before running was a chore I actually look forward to it now :)

Running at a 5:45pkm pace would get a you a decent 5k time! 28 minutes or so? Nothing to turn your nose up at. 

My partner has been running for 15 years and completed over 60 odd marathons all over the world, alongside countless other ultra's and whatnot. She's training me and she's adamant longer runs improve your shorter run times. We run around 6:00 per km for the longer runs and for my 5km runs (twice a month), I increase the pace and I barely notice the difference.

Mentally as well, if you know you can run a longer distance comfortably, the positive boost you'll get taking on the smaller runs is amazing.  

I'm brand new at this so learning all the time. I'm sure the other lads will have sound advice.

Thanks for the kind words mate. 

1 minute ago, Rocker said:

Running at a 5:45pkm pace would get a you a decent 5k time! 28 minutes or so? Nothing to turn your nose up at. 

My partner has been running for 15 years and completed over 60 odd marathons all over the world, alongside countless other ultra's and whatnot. She's training me and she's adamant longer runs improve your shorter run times. We run around 6:00 per km for the longer runs and for my 5km runs (twice a month), I increase the pace and I barely notice the difference.

Mentally as well, if you know you can run a longer distance comfortably, the positive boost you'll get taking on the smaller runs is amazing.  

I'm brand new at this so learning all the time. I'm sure the other lads will have sound advice.

Thanks for the kind words mate. 

No problem, it so good to see people get such a boost from something that has minimal costs. 

Thanks for the advice, I get a bit hung up on time, I see what some people post on Twitter then look at my splits and feel a bit demotivated. I need to learn to look past that. 

I think I'll add 1K to my run tomorrow, easy for my to judge as well as two laps of a small local park is 1K. I need to go a bit further afield as well, in Swansea we have some beautiful coastline and a lot better views than my local estate and park.