On this day...

Find it quite astonishing that folk can say that based on 33 games. How come it took 14 months post-injury to announce his retirement?

Because we haven't seen anyone better even after playing hundreds of games.  Green was simply the best.  He could give opposition players a 3 yard start and still beat them to a loose ball comfortably and then accelerate away. Brilliant dribbling skills a thunderbolt shot from distance  and could ping a long ball pass to feet.  He literally terrified defenders and his career ending injury was caused by the only way he could be stopped by fouling him!

I love how every NUFC fan over the age of around 60 swoons over Tony Green. Seen clips of him for Scotland v England and the win at Man U after we lost at Hereford and he looks amazing. Wish there was more footage of that era with him and Supermac, etc.

I love how every NUFC fan over the age of around 60 swoons over Tony Green. Seen clips of him for Scotland v England and the win at Man U after we lost at Hereford and he looks amazing. Wish there was more footage of that era with him and Supermac, etc.

He was before my time as a supporter - he retired before i was even born.

But he was supposedly an outstanding player. And yes, I wouldve loved to have seen more of him on old vids.

You got a link for those clips? Not sure I've seen video footage of him but aye, my Dad is another one who would wax lyrical about him.

He was before my time as a supporter - he retired before i was even born.

But he was supposedly an outstanding player. And yes, I wouldve loved to have seen more of him on old vids.

He was great on Bullseye.

I just watched Green Street with my American girlfriend yesterday and told her it was all a load of dramatic bollocks and not to worry about me at matches - won't be showing her this :lol: West Ham 'n all :lol:

(hope noone was seriously hurt like)

Was a rather 'charged atmosphere' at that game.

1980, god feels like yesterday. 41 years ago...jesus.

Thankfully game/sport has moved on for the most part, still undoubtedly violence attached but certainly nowhere near the levels we had to endure for the majority of match going fans.

Away games were gauntlets of fear, that's my abiding memory of going anywhere to see us play. London probably being the worst of the worst.

Second leg of the Olympiakos pummelling 16 years ago today. Cracking win. Pity it all fell apart so dramatically two ties later.

14 European games in 14 years since Ashley arrived. One solitary season playing European football.

In the 14 years prior it was 92 games across 11 individual  seasons. This club used to compete in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

He'd been terrorised all day too by HBA, to the point that being chucked in nets was probably a welcome relief.

Probably the most enjoyable game from that side. HBA & Cisse at their absolute best, Carroll booked for diving, Jose in nets & Kenny wandering about like a lost old bloke. :lol: