Not worthy of a thread (Games edition)

Some day I'll finally give Fallout 3 a chance. It starts out so well, and then once I got to the whole wasteland area just couldn't be arsed to run for 10 minutes in a straight line only to done in by Mad Max. I got really bored, really quickly at that point and played on Bioshock instead.

just where i am right now. just escaped and now there seems to be miles of wasteland. turned it off for now. seems like it has potential. not so keen on the way your characted runs! looks like he is running sideways! will give it some more time tomorrow.

couldnt get me2 as i only have a ps3

Play in first person man, there's no way in hell that game was intended to be played in third person.

Some day I'll finally give Fallout 3 a chance. It starts out so well, and then once I got to the whole wasteland area just couldn't be arsed to run for 10 minutes in a straight line only to done in by Mad Max. I got really bored, really quickly at that point and played on Bioshock instead.

just where i am right now. just escaped and now there seems to be miles of wasteland. turned it off for now. seems like it has potential. not so keen on the way your characted runs! looks like he is running sideways! will give it some more time tomorrow.

couldnt get me2 as i only have a ps3

Play in first person man, there's no way in hell that game was intended to be played in third person.

think im going to have too, looks awful in third person. im just really crap at first person ,thats why i cant get used to MW etc  i think  maybe its time to learn though

Mass Effect 2.

aww yes. Same type of game is it? going to grainger tonight so have a decision to make!

I'd highly recommend playing ME1 before ME2.  It's a little dated, but still a great game.  Diving straight into the second one is like watching The Empire Strikes Back before Star Wars.

Persevere with Fallout 3 for a few hours, and it turns into something very special. I got pissed off with it at the beginning cos I was getting dicked on and my weapons were shit but it gets very good after that initial period.

Fallout 3 really is an excellent game - I had the same initial problem of being well underpowered at the start and found it hard to get into, but once you start killing the Raiders and nicking and repairing thier kit it starts to take over your life.  Ive clocked up just under 50 hours on it now over the past couple of weeks and deliberately have taken myself away from it for a few days because I'm starting to become obsessed!  I would even go as far to say that this is the best video game I've played so far in this gen, in fact the best since I first loaded up GTA III / Vice City.

I'm one of the lucky ones that Dr Spaceman described as well as I've still yet to start Mass Effect (and also have Bioshock and Oblivion to play as well!).

Persevere with Fallout 3 for a few hours, and it turns into something very special. I got pissed off with it at the beginning cos I was getting dicked on and my weapons were s*** but it gets very good after that initial period.

Fallout 3 really is an excellent game - I had the same initial problem of being well underpowered at the start and found it hard to get into, but once you start killing the Raiders and nicking and repairing thier kit it starts to take over your life.  Ive clocked up just under 50 hours on it now over the past couple of weeks and deliberately have taken myself away from it for a few days because I'm starting to become obsessed!  I would even go as far to say that this is the best video game I've played so far in this gen, in fact the best since I first loaded up GTA III / Vice City.

I'm one of the lucky ones that Dr Spaceman described as well as I've still yet to start Mass Effect (and also have Bioshock and Oblivion to play as well!).

yep, everyone is right. Just reached Galaxy Radio Station and im hooked. Got to go on some crazy mission for Three Dog, but ive just swiped a load of goodies from some Super Mutants.

Just need to ask, im being a nice guy, answering all the questions polite, im assuming this is the only way to get what you want? i.e info on your dad etc? i cant imagine being a dick head will get you what you want?

also, how big is this game? You have played 50 hours and you havent finished it yet???

Nope, but then I've been wandering and trading the kit I've picked up during  the missions as well which will account for a lot of that time as well. I have done the last level earlier this week (Taking It Back) - the main story is actually pretty short which I found very surprising - but you can't go on after that unless you get the DLC.

I have reverted to one of the saves I had prior to starting the last level to go on and do the side missions I hadn't done (about eight or so left) and find the other settlements so I can see this still having about 24 hours worth of play left, and then I've the DLC as well after that.  I bloody love sandbox games if they're done this well.  It may just last me until Fallout: New Vegas comes out this autumn / winter.

Magpies hot shots on and off pitch

DANNY SIMPSON has revealed the bizarre technique helping to build team spirit in Newcastle United’s drive for promotion: killing each other.

It is not that the Magpies camp have turned to violence on the training ground, it’s more a case of a collective affection for gaming, which has improved camaraderie.

After training or on their days off, Simpson and a number of his team-mates put on their bluetooth headsets, sit down in front of their widescreen TVs and blow each other to bits on the Playstation 3.

While shooting one another’s characters might not sound too clever, Simpson has revealed that uniting to take on rival clubs – one being old foes Sunderland – actually helps to ease the pressure of staying at the top of the Championship.

“I was having a game against Fraizer Campbell the other night,” said Simpson, who was at Manchester United with the Black Cats striker. “As footballers we can’t go out all the time and do what other lads do, so it is a good way of being at home and bonding, having a laugh.

“At Newcastle we have all come together and that has helped. Off the pitch we have gone for meals and bowling. I know it is a silly thing but we are all online on a Playstation.

“We have our headsets and are on speakerphone. Quite a lot of us do it. We have eight to ten lads to link up from our own homes in our spare time.

“We all come together and shot each other! You come to training and have a laugh about it saying ‘I killed you more’. It is just banter.”

Simspson claims to be the best of the Newcastle bunch at Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, but he insists there is actually more to it than just passing time.

During his time at Old Trafford, before moving fulltime in January, the 23-yearold learned a lot about the need to be close to his teammates, something which he has been happy to see develop at St James’ Park.

“Sir Alex Ferguson wanted everyone to get on with each other off the pitch. You have to speak to each other outside training and apparently last season there was no bond,” he said.

“Some lads would come in to train and not speak to each other and go home after training. This season it is the opposite.

“It has helped me settle quickly. Everyone is full of confidence after the 6-1 win over Barnsley last week. We had a rocky patch a few weeks ago but we have to keep winning. Other teams are dropping points.”

Defeating Middlesbrough could push Newcastle 11 points clear of the play-offs and Simpson would love to see the team’s online duel with the Sunderland squad repeated in the Premier League next season.

“We beat Boro at home and you could tell it was not an actual derby,” he said. “To beat your nearest rivals would be a big boost for the fans and us in the league.

“But I would love to have the Sunderland derby next season. I love playing against my mates and I have mates there too. It is funny. To get to smash them on the pitch would be great.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/5060000.Magpies_hot_shots_on_and_off_pitch/

According to the near identical story in The Journal he's playing 'Battlefield: Bad Company 2' rather than 'Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2'.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/03/13/danny-simpson-finds-the-right-united-61634-26022692/2/

Simpson’s former Sunderland manager Roy Keane tried paintballing, go-karting and white-water rafting to build spirit. Their North East rivals favour food, ten-pin bowling and Battlefield Bad Company 2 – a shoot-'em-up computer game. Ultimately, though, one ingredient delivers unity more effectively than any.

“When you are winning the confidence is there and you just want to play,” says Simpson. “Off the pitch we have done team bonding things like we have gone for meals, which I don’t think they did last season. We have gone bowling, and I know it is a silly thing but we are all online on a PlayStation. We have our headsets and are on speakerphone. We have eight to ten lads to link up from our homes in our spare time.

“We all come together and shoot each other! You come to training and have a laugh about it saying, ‘I killed you more!’

“It makes training a laugh and breaks down barriers. If anyone needs pulling into line in training or a match we can say it to each other because we know each other well.

“I was having a game against Fraizer Campbell (his former Manchester United team-mate, now at Sunderland) last night. As footballers we can’t go out all the time so it is a good way of being at home, bonding and having a laugh.”

The Magpies are on a high at present, pulling away from an increasingly forlorn chasing pack. The line between confidence and arrogance is a thin one, however, and Newcastle are anxious not to over-step it.

“Everyone is full of confidence after the 6-1 against Barnsley and what is it? Four (wins) on the bounce now?” asks Simpson. “We had a rocky patch a few weeks ago but we have to keep winning.

“The staff drum it in to us not to be complacent every day. We have loads of games left and we know with three games in a week if you don’t perform and others do, your lead could be gone. It has been such a long season that we just want to get the job done.

“It is not so much fear of failing that drives us so much as we have put loads of hard work in and come so far. After everything that has gone on we are determined not to mess up.

“We have a lot of lads who played for years in the Premier League. You want to get back to playing at Old Trafford and places like that. We also have young lads who have not had that and want to prove themselves.”

This afternoon brings one of the big games reserve team football could never serve up, but taking on Sunderland excites Simpson more.

“We beat Boro at home and you could tell it was not an actual derby,” he concedes. “I would love to have (a Tyne-Wear derby) next season. I love playing against my mates. To smash them on the pitch would be great! Sunderland can be safe and we will have a close derby.”

Persevere with Fallout 3 for a few hours, and it turns into something very special. I got pissed off with it at the beginning cos I was getting dicked on and my weapons were s*** but it gets very good after that initial period.

im starting to understand why everybody said it gets hard due to the crap weapons!! Im trying to get to the museam for three dog and keep getting killed!! Ive got hardley any life and keep running out of ammo for my rifle. Im going to have to go back to Galaxy Radio and have a sleep to boost my HP!!!

Very frustrating!

Are you putting your stats in the places for your weapon you use? If you are using rifles then small arms to 90 asap helps immensely. I loved my hunting rifle. Imba.

shit no, ive just been trying to keep them all fairly even! ....... mistake eh!? right ok, next time i get a level up, ill hoy it all on small arms. cheers for the tip.

360 Slim anyone?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-360-slim-blog-entry

In Theory: Is this the Xbox 360 Slim?

March 17th, 2010

Leaked photos have emerged purporting to show a new, smaller revision of the Xbox 360 motherboard, provoking speculation that Microsoft is set to relaunch its console later in the year. Xbox 360 Slim any one?

Similar to the PS3 Slim leaks last year, the pictures emanate from an obscure Chinese message board, and the shots of the motherboard certainly look genuine, with enough of the original 360 components in view to suggest authenticity. They also display several new, original features, plus of course a smaller form factor.

By comparing parts common to the current model, it appears that this most fundamental of components is over a third smaller in size than the Jasper revision 360 board.

Two shots have been revealed so far. The first is a top-down view of the board itself, suggesting a smaller, squarer layout topped off with a conspicuously off-the-shelf Coolermaster fan. The second shot sees the leaker removing the cooling assembly to reveal what appears to be an integrated Xenon and Xenos CPU/GPU combination package, which ties in nicely with the so-called Valhalla revision of the 360 first mentioned a couple of years back and also believed to be based on a single combined processor set-up.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/0/1/1/4/1/5/a_med_360mobo1.jpg.jpghttp://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/0/1/1/4/1/5/a_med_360mobo2.jpg.jpg

The shot to the left shows the full board, while the right pic reveals what appears to be an all-in-one CPU and GPU package underneath the pre-production cooler.

While the single heatspreader underneath the cooling assembly strongly suggests a unified design for the core hardware, the leaker hasn't had the courage to remove it completely and expose the dies below, which would settle the issue completely and would also allow us to ascertain whether Microsoft is using a 45nm or even smaller fabrication process for the unified chip.

Smaller parts mean a cooler, more power-efficient, cheaper-to-manufacture system and even the current, apparently reliable 360 is still running a 65nm process for both chips. The PS3 Slim in contrast runs at 45nm for the CPU and 65nm for the RSX, and a single package within the 360 would allow Microsoft to pursue an even more aggressive price-cutting strategy if it needed to do so.

What is interesting is that the board has doubled the number of SATA connections to two over on the top-left of the first picture. In current 360 hardware, only one is used for connecting up the internal DVD-ROM drive.

This could mean that Microsoft is planning support for internal drives, but bearing in mind the success of its Arcade SKU, it is unlikely that the firm would commit to HDD-integrated machines: laptop drives don't generally get cheaper, they just get bigger in terms of storage, and for Microsoft to surrender one of the factors behind its price advantage is unlikely. It's more probable that the drives will come in new Slim-friendly caddies.

Another curious change appears to be the complete omission of any mounting holes for the DVD drive, which clearly sits to the left of the fan. Either a variant of the existing DVD drive attaches to the case in a different way, or else an entirely different assembly is used. Assuming the costs work out, we could even be getting a thin, slot-loading drive similar to the PlayStation 3.

The location of the optical drive itself is a big improvement over the existing Xbox 360 design, which places the DVD-ROM directly above both CPU and GPU, further complicating the cooling of the hottest parts of the console. The cooling setup doesn't really tell us much. The Coolermaster fan would be way too large for a production console, plus you'll note that the fan itself is only secured in one place to the heatsink below.

There's nothing on the board that suggests any kind of onboard Natal, meaning that the new 360 still requires a decent array of USB ports, though it looks as though the MU readers have been cut down to just a single slot.

In part understandable but at the same time rather disappointing is the omission of any kind of Wi-Fi chipset on the motherboard, so it does seem as though extortionately expensive wireless internet dongles will remain the standard if the pics are valid.

On the bright side, however, the just-as-stupidly expensive audio dongle appears to be a thing of the past, with what looks very much like a Toslink SPDIF optical output directly above the fan to the left, next to what we can assume is the current Xbox 360 AV port, with HDMI output to the left of that.

Other than that, no surprises, though we can assume that the top-right socket is for the power supply, which will almost certainly remain external in contrast to the neat internal PSU in the PS3 Slim.

Comedy cooling fan aside, there's nothing here to suggest that this isn't the real deal. It's just too well-designed to be a fake and in a world where PS3 Slims turn up months in advance on in a Philippines marketplace, leaked pics surfacing on a Chinese forum are eminently plausible.

Even if it's not a 360 Slim, the radical change in form factor and mounting holes means that this revision of motherboard cannot physically fit inside the current shell and certainly not with the current DVD drive.

A 360 relaunch for Natal then? Microsoft has already issued its obligatory "we don't comment on rumour and speculation" line.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/warner-unveils-new-lotr-action-rpg

Warner Bros. has excitedly announced a "mature", action-RPG take on The Lord of the Rings for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Subtitled War in the North and due next year, this instalment pursues new storylines and ventures to unseen lands in the company of less familiar characters - although the more well-trodden areas of Middle-Earth are not forgotten.

There will be online co-op for up-to three people, and it seems as though characters will be created from scratch to write their own place in Tolkien's world. You'll get to pick from Dwarves, Elves and Race of Man, judging by the official website. Promised are "extensive" customisation and development, "expansive" co-op options, and upgradeable skills, weapons and abilities.

The developer picked to deliver all this is Snowblind Studios, which made Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for consoles in 2001; Everquest console adaptations Champions of Norrath in 2004 and Champions: Return to Arms in 2005; superhero game Justice League Heroes in 2006; and most recently Death Tank for Xbox Live Arcade.

There's CG teaser trailer on the website to get your blood pumping, although it offers little in the way of actual gameplay detail.

Guaranteed to be absolute shit, but watch me fight the urge to buy it.

The first anime I ever saw. Real special place in the nostalgic area of my heart.

I've been pinching one off and thinking about owning this game for the last few weeks. Stumbled across it.  I hope it's not shit like. I'm a massive Fist Of The North Star fan and the idea of smashing up people with Kenshiro using Hokuto Shinken in glorious HD graphics sounds uber cool to me.

Check this link out, has better in-game views.