Not worthy of a thread (Games edition)

How is that facebook integration bullshit?

Personally...it's not an issue on the Quest 1. I believe it's the Quest 2 that has it more. But I'm sure the Q1 is to follow. Others will know better?

If they start to get at me I'll just sell it and get another brand.

It's going to be mandatory from what I've heard. :anguish:

Signed in with Facebook when I started, said "Only me!" like that guy from Harry Enfield when asked who can see my activity and what multi-dimensional grot I'm consuming and it's not bothered me since - however some devs, like the guy who makes the very popular Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades refuse to port to it because, understandably, fuck facebook. I can play it on PC VR, though it's a bit more of a chew on

How is that facebook integration bullshit?

Personally...it's not an issue on the Quest 1. I believe it's the Quest 2 that has it more. But I'm sure the Q1 is to follow. Others will know better?

If they start to get at me I'll just sell it and get another brand.

It's going to be mandatory from what I've heard. :anguish:

Urgh :anguish:

Signed in with Facebook when I started, said "Only me!" like that guy from Harry Enfield when asked who can see my activity and what multi-dimensional grot I'm consuming and it's not bothered me since - however some devs, like the guy who makes the very popular Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades refuse to port to it because, understandably, fuck facebook. I can play it on PC VR, though it's a bit more of a chew on

You have two vr setups, or oculus can be connected to pc to play other things?

You have two vr setups, or oculus can be connected to pc to play other things?

Can connect Occulus to PC and play Steam VR stuff either through a USB cable or apparently wirelessly but I haven't tried that yet.

Shit, nice. So I can get away with the 64 GB? And avoid facebook with a cord?

I've just got 64gb, but I think you have to register via facebook to do the initial setup anyway that you need to link it to a PC.  Anything I had a choice on I'd install natively, streaming from the PC is a bit fuzzier and more laggy (plus you have to faff on with a cord or wireless) so I'm not sure I'd buy it if I was only or primarily using it as a PC headset.  But it's great there is a way of experiencing stuff like Alyx with it.

Yeah if it wasn't clear to people: you will not be able to avoid Facebook with an Oculus. tldr is that you've probably got till ~October 2022. At that point everyone will need to link a facey acca to their Oculus.

"In August, we announced that we would start requiring new users and people using new devices to log in to their Oculus headsets using a Facebook account. This will make it easier for people to find and connect with friends, while still keeping a separate VR profile. We know that social VR has so much more to offer, and this change will make it possible to integrate many Facebook-powered social features, like Horizon. Using a VR profile that is backed by a Facebook account and authentic identity helps us protect our community and makes it possible to offer additional integrity tools. And as Facebook adds new privacy and safety tools, Oculus can adopt and benefit from them too.

With Quest 2 shipping this week, we’ll start rolling out this change. What to know:

This change will apply to all new users and everyone using a Quest 2. Existing users logging into other Oculus devices can continue using their Oculus accounts for an additional two years."

https://www.oculus.com/blog/facebook-accounts-on-oculus/

I've just got 64gb, but I think you have to register via facebook to do the initial setup anyway that you need to link it to a PC.  Anything I had a choice on I'd install natively, streaming from the PC is a bit fuzzier and more laggy (plus you have to faff on with a cord or wireless) so I'm not sure I'd buy it if I was only or primarily using it as a PC headset.  But it's great there is a way of experiencing stuff like Alyx with it.

Didn't you use a standard USB cable that was lying around? Because using a high-end USB cable (3.1 @ 10Gbps works for me...but 3.2 @ 20Gbps is recommended) gives no lag whatsoever. Using a cable with low bandwidth will either not work or lag. I believe they recently updated the firmware to allow lesser cables...but the quality is poor because of it.

Also, make sure your IPD is set correctly. Unfortunately the Oculus 2 has a terrible setting for this. A notched setting not allowing in betweens/fine tuning. Plus it's just one screen. But setting it correctly is vital.

Yeah if it wasn't clear to people: you will not be able to avoid Facebook with an Oculus. tldr is that you've probably got till ~October 2022. At that point everyone will need to link a facey acca to their Oculus.

"In August, we announced that we would start requiring new users and people using new devices to log in to their Oculus headsets using a Facebook account. This will make it easier for people to find and connect with friends, while still keeping a separate VR profile. We know that social VR has so much more to offer, and this change will make it possible to integrate many Facebook-powered social features, like Horizon. Using a VR profile that is backed by a Facebook account and authentic identity helps us protect our community and makes it possible to offer additional integrity tools. And as Facebook adds new privacy and safety tools, Oculus can adopt and benefit from them too.

With Quest 2 shipping this week, we’ll start rolling out this change. What to know:

This change will apply to all new users and everyone using a Quest 2. Existing users logging into other Oculus devices can continue using their Oculus accounts for an additional two years."

https://www.oculus.com/blog/facebook-accounts-on-oculus/

2 years, suckaaaaz! :yeah:

:lol:

Depends on how poisonous an organization you believe Facebook to be...

Even if you create a throwaway Facebook account, you'd then need your associated gaming accounts to be throwaway too... and your IP masked... etc etc.

Didn't you use a standard USB cable that was lying around? Because using a high-end USB cable (3.1 @ 10Gbps works for me...but 3.2 @ 20Gbps is recommended) gives no lag whatsoever. Using a cable with low bandwidth will either not work or lag. I believe they recently updated the firmware to allow lesser cables...but the quality is poor because of it.

Also, make sure your IPD is set correctly. Unfortunately the Oculus 2 has a terrible setting for this. A notched setting not allowing in betweens/fine tuning. Plus it's just one screen. But setting it correctly is vital.

Yeah, was just a cable that came with a Switch controller but I use for whatever I can because it's my most reliable one. I do have a better one ordered.  Thing is anything over 3 metres even with good cables isn't recommended and that's the length of mine and it's a bit restrictive. This auld guy has it worklng well on wireless.

Before I go across to the cold garage across the treacherous frozen driveway to recover the bairn's old 360, can anybody 100% confirm that you can still connect it to the store and download all your old games? I can't imagine they've discontinued it, but you're never sure

Fuck me the THPS1+2 Remake is bloody glorious :smitten: The nostalgia is proper overflowing

Can concur, hence why I'm still up at 2:30am. Absolutely class.

Just had a session, where for 90 minutes it was "only one more go..!". Man have they absolutely nailed this game :smitten:

BlueStar[/member] download Echo VR by the way for some boxing/frisbee action.

Will do, cheers. Mate of mine has ordered one so will need some arenas of virtual bants

Just don't play with any lights above you. You may or may not smash a light bulb...