Jump to content

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)


Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

110 members have voted

  1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

    • Yes
      55
    • No
      46


Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Foluwashola said:

Much easier to be negative than bother your arse to do anything yourself. 

Think its a cracking idea, even if it comes to nowt. Will be getting involved. 

When you say 'bother your arse do anything yourself', that doesn't really mean much. I think we all want to see Ashley gone and new owners, but this isn't seeking to achieve that. This is about a degree of fan ownership, or fans having a say on the board. Personally, I don't agree that it's desirable so for me I have no interest in ever doing anything to achieve that aim. It would be similar if one of my neighbours wanted to paint my block of flats red and I said I didn't want to be involved and didn't like it. The argument back can't be 'easier to be negative than bother your arse to do anything yourself'. Well, I don't want to do anything as I don't agree with the aim.

I've seen this kind of idea play out at another club (granted far smaller) over 15-20 years. When a group of well meaning people got together to set up a Trust so that fans could have a say in the club. Attracted hundreds of members paying Direct Debits of £2+ each a month. The original group and one person dominated and eventually caused all sorts of problems and conflict over the years, speaking on 'behalf of members' and of course, it's all democratic because they hold elections. The problem is, the leaders or the board of the trust end up with their view. If people don't agree, they leave. They don't try and change things internally as it's not worth the effort. Easier to criticise from the outside as opposed to voicing discontent on the inside while paying for the privilege. In the example I'm talking about it ended up with the original group who were well meaning individuals constantly going into battle with the club board who had as much, if not more support from fans than they did. They used the 'we have hundreds of members' and 'democratic elections' argument, but only a handful ever went to their AGM. The membership was basically a group of people who agreed with the Trust board, a section who we're barely interested and a huge section of people who simply set up a Direct Debit at the start as they had an affinity with the club and never thought about it again. Good for fundraising, not as representation. It certainly wasn't representative of the support. 

Nothing against the guys in the Trust and they've done a lot of good things. Alex is a great on the podcasts and when on the radio. Nothing against the individuals, but I couldn't back this idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Can someone do a poll on this? I'd be interested in something like;

- Love this idea - will donate

- Like it - can't donate

- Like it - won't donate

- Neither for/against

- Don't like and won't donate

 

Or similar from someone with the time to think it through.

Added just a basic poll. :thup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Not at board level yes, but in lots of other ways under previous owners/management and to great effect. I can see it becoming law in the near future that fan representation will be needed at board level at every club, I hope so anyway. 

What other ways did they have involvement ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, InspectorCoarse said:

What other ways did they have involvement ?

Wor flags, KK inviting fans to the training ground, fans being involved in the design of kits and the Black & White magazine, open training days etc.

Edited by HTT II
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Wor flags, KK inviting fans to the training ground, fans being involved in the design of kits and the Black & White magazine, open training days etc.

So no real involvement in the running of the club just good pr ...

and John Halls " a seat for every pocket " bollocks ? 

or when fans were moved against their will to other parts of the ground ? 

Aye , reet ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JJ7 said:

When you say 'bother your arse do anything yourself', that doesn't really mean much. I think we all want to see Ashley gone and new owners, but this isn't seeking to achieve that. This is about a degree of fan ownership, or fans having a say on the board. Personally, I don't agree that it's desirable so for me I have no interest in ever doing anything to achieve that aim. It would be similar if one of my neighbours wanted to paint my block of flats red and I said I didn't want to be involved and didn't like it. The argument back can't be 'easier to be negative than bother your arse to do anything yourself'. Well, I don't want to do anything as I don't agree with the aim.

I've seen this kind of idea play out at another club (granted far smaller) over 15-20 years. When a group of well meaning people got together to set up a Trust so that fans could have a say in the club. Attracted hundreds of members paying Direct Debits of £2+ each a month. The original group and one person dominated and eventually caused all sorts of problems and conflict over the years, speaking on 'behalf of members' and of course, it's all democratic because they hold elections. The problem is, the leaders or the board of the trust end up with their view. If people don't agree, they leave. They don't try and change things internally as it's not worth the effort. Easier to criticise from the outside as opposed to voicing discontent on the inside while paying for the privilege. In the example I'm talking about it ended up with the original group who were well meaning individuals constantly going into battle with the club board who had as much, if not more support from fans than they did. They used the 'we have hundreds of members' and 'democratic elections' argument, but only a handful ever went to their AGM. The membership was basically a group of people who agreed with the Trust board, a section who we're barely interested and a huge section of people who simply set up a Direct Debit at the start as they had an affinity with the club and never thought about it again. Good for fundraising, not as representation. It certainly wasn't representative of the support. 

Nothing against the guys in the Trust and they've done a lot of good things. Alex is a great on the podcasts and when on the radio. Nothing against the individuals, but I couldn't back this idea.

Excellent post this.

For me, if you remove Ashley then you remove the biggest problem. That's what any NUFC group should be focused on.

Imagine a world where someone like Pallotta buys the club, sells the 1% to the Trust and then proves to be an awful owner.

What's the chances a genuine owner with good intentions THEN chooses to buy NUFC (with a vocal fans group allowed a seat on the Board) off him or buys a club without it?

Commercially, I'd opt for the club without it because;

a) The good 'PR uplift' has been lost.

b) I'd not want to have forced engagement and would prefer to do it on my terms and not based upon those of my shonky predecessor.

c) If I throw a ton of cash at the club and increase it's value, I'll only realise 99% of it.

As for NUFC's value tumbling should we go down and then possibly go down again, then yes, we'd be worth much less but we'd also be far more likely to get a shithouse owner.

IMHO, they should have engaged in a partnership with the Staveley consortium and negotiated a 1% ownership BUT ONLY because of the additional pressure this would apply to the PL because of the recognition by the Saudi's of the supporters role.

I can see a use for it in those circumstances, otherwise, I don't really get it.

Edited by Minhosa
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, InspectorCoarse said:

So no real involvement in the running of the club just good pr ...

and John Halls " a seat for every pocket " bollocks ? 

or when fans were moved against their will to other parts of the ground ? 

Aye , reet ...

Still involvement and I did say not directly at board level, seems your being pedantic for well... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Still involvement and I did say not directly at board level, seems your being pedantic for well... 

Yes but its not real involvement or " truly involved " is it ? What you are describing is the use of fans as a stage army when needed for pr purposes . The first time NUSTs fantasy of fan involvement ever goes up against the needs of the actual owners then people would see the real nature of ownership and where power lies ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

If people don’t like it then just don’t sign up to it.

If you have questions about it then ask the questions to the group, also read the information, plenty of questions rattling around online are already answered on their page.

We might not own the club or a significant amount, but we are taking steps towards that. Say we get to buy 1%, who is to say that we couldn’t have another round of pledges to increase that? We have to start from somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wandy said:

One of the most embarrasing things I've ever seen associated with NUFC. Cathedral on the hill? Greggs sausage rolls???? [emoji38]

There must be a Mackem working undercover at the NUST. That is an absolute goldmine of ammunition for the mongoloids on RTG. They will be pissing themselves with laughter this morning.

Consider my membership cancelled. I guess they don't think the Saudi takeover will be happening either then.

This has to be the worst reply of the lot. Sunderland are a 3rd division football club. They are a complete and utter irrelevance these days. They are in no position to laugh at anyone. Any Newcastle fan worrying about what a group of football fans who follow a 3rd Division football club think of them has something wrong with them, in my opinion of course.

 

For what it's worth l, whilst I admire the sentiment and what the Trust are trying to achieve, trying to rally a totally apathetic fanbase to donate enough to make this work is going to be an extremely tall order.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

im not the richest in the world but will donate a few quid to charity as that’s where the money will eventually go100%  or stolen.

Totally underwhelmed. Again. Good luck to all involved though .

Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, they should be putting all their efforts into getting rid of Ashley, they would certainly gain more support than they are currently (looking at the poll).

This just feels like a waste of time.

Edited by ToonArmy1892
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

This has to be the worst reply of the lot. Sunderland are a 3rd division football club. They are a complete and utter irrelevance these days. They are in no position to laugh at anyone. Any Newcastle fan worrying about what a group of football fans who follow a 3rd Division football club think of them has something wrong with them, in my opinion of course.

 

For what it's worth l, whilst I admire the sentiment and what the Trust are trying to achieve, trying to rally a totally apathetic fanbase to donate enough to make this work is going to be an extremely tall order.

Aye, who the fuck gives a fuck what Sunderland fans think? This is the set of fans who claimed to be massive fans but stopped going when the free tickets stopped being dished out, save for one off games when they were going for the record attendance in the lower leagues. This is the set of fans who said if they won £100m on the Euro’s they wouldn’t spend £40m saving their club. This is the set of fans who have done fuck all to save or stop their club from sliding down the leagues and out of control, and laughed at every attempt our fans and fans of other clubs have done to save theirs. This is the set of fans from a city who pretty much voted to get rid of their biggest employer and goodbye to a significant percentage of funding their own city and region gets by voting for Brexit and has became a modern day symbol of Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Edited by Stifler
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, I just can’t see it ever happening under the current owner. He wants fuck all to do with fans and would never entertain it. So it all just feels a little bit of a pointless exercise until Ashley is gone. New owners could be more open to this though. Just feel all the effort should be towards putting pressure on Ashley to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Aye, who the fuck gives a fuck what Sunderland fans think? This is the set of fans who claimed to be massive fans but stopped going when the free tickets stopped being dished out, save for one of games when they were going for the record attendance in the lower leagues. This is the set of fans who said if they won £100m on the Euro’s they wouldn’t spend £40m saving their club. This is the set of fans who have done fuck to save or stop their club from sliding down the leagues and out of control, and laughed at every attempt our fans and fans of other clubs have done to save theirs. This is the set of fans from a city who pretty much voted to get rid of their biggest employer and goodbye to a significant position of funding their own city and region gets by voting for Brexit and has became a modern day symbol of Turkeys voting for Christmas.

I agree, I’m not even bothered to look at what they think , it won’t be pleasant as I would expect, vice versa , fuk each and every one of them . 

Edited by GWN
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be a good idea eventually in 5/10 years when it has had enough time but for the near future it means nothing. In fact I see it as a bad thing short term as people will think this is achieving something and allow them to go to games hence keep Ashley here another decade 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...